Can Rabbits Eat Bananas? A Great-Tasting Treat For Rabbits


Most owners don’t just like to touch and play with their cute and cuddly bunnies. They also want to give them treats and watch them as they munch on a wide array of fruits and vegetables. Although rabbits should have a regular diet that is 90% made up of fresh hay, owners are free to fill-in the remaining 10%.

Owners can actually make sure that the remaining 10% is going to be composed of pellets or of fresh fruits and vegetables. And although you might want to give your rabbit the usual serving of carrots or apples, there are those who want to give their pets an exciting new treat to enjoy.

One of the food items that you might want to try giving to your pet is a banana. Since this fruit is typically cheap and readily available, a lot of pet owners want to know whether they can use it as a treat or as a part of their rabbit’s regular diet. Here’s what you need to know about giving bananas to rabbits:

The Benefits Of Giving Bananas

rabbit eating banana

Bananas are widely known to be healthy. They are known to contain a lot of vitamins and minerals, but what they are mostly known for is their high potassium content. Potassium is not just good for muscles, it can also be used to support the heart as well as provide enough energy for the body.

Bananas also contain soluble fiber that can help humans and animals alike when it comes to their digestive system. It can also further protect the heart simply because it can help keep our blood vessels healthy. Bananas also contain Fructooligosaccharides that can help maintain the tummy’s good bacteria.

This benefit is very important to rabbits simply because they need to ferment what they eat. It means that they need to have a constant supply of good bacteria in their stomachs so that their tummies will be able to extract nutrients properly. Bananas also contain a lot of sugar, giving them a nice taste.

What You Need To Know When Giving Bananas To Rabbits

a rock rabbit

Bananas have to be selected and prepared properly before you can give them to your pet rabbit. You will have to make sure that the banana has been properly ripened. The fruit itself must not be bruised and it should also not have any mold if you want to help your rabbit avoid diseases or illnesses.

You can actually let the rabbit eat the banana peel. But you will have to make sure that the bananas are organic and that there are no pesticides on the surface of the peel. You can wash the bananas before giving them to your rabbits and you can also slice them into quarters so that the rabbit can easily eat it.

Since bananas are known to contain high amounts of potassium as well as sugar, you will have to be very careful not to give too much of it to your pets. Giving too many bananas per day can actually discourage rabbits from eating their regular diet properly. This can lead to nutrient deficiencies.

You should also understand that if you give too much sugar to your rabbits, even though they come from fruit sources, you can actually give your rabbit an upset stomach. If you want to give bananas to your rabbit, you should only give a small piece of it every couple of days so your pet can avoid diarrhea.


a rabbit and vegetables

Bananas can be used as a healthy treat for your pet rabbits. They are known to contain a lot of vitamins and minerals which can help keep your rabbit healthy. It can offer potassium as well as nutrients that are very beneficial for the good bacteria that helps ferment the food inside the rabbit’s stomach.

However, you should only give your rabbit a small piece of banana every couple of days so you that your rabbit will not suffer from stomach aches. You should also keep in mind that if the rabbit learns to love eating bananas, the animal might no longer want to eat the regular diet needed for survival.

About the Author Emily Taylor

My name is Emily Taylor, gardening is my passion and I’m looking forward to sharing it with everyone. I know that there are millions of people out there want their backyard and garden be attractive just like their front yard, so I am here to help you create your own backyard paradise.

Leave a Comment:

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This